Sunday, March 8, 2009

Watchmen


I am happy to say that I finally ended my personal record of longest time of not going to a cinema of 4 months has finally cracked and there’s no better movie than this to crack it. Yeah, I haven’t watched a movie since after my finals last semester. Or a bit after that... Who’s counting?

Anyways, as most fanboys would know, this movie is based on, and I quote, one of the most celebrated graphic novels in the history of comicdom. I can see why. I have personally never read the comic but listening to some people talk about and reading the synopsis off Wiki is proof enough for me. Watchmen features a conspiracy, an alternate reality, warped personas and such complex characters that just blows your mind. I would have to say that they did a great casting job on this one. I somehow see the pattern here, sometimes you have a story so great that needs to be told, it’d be suicidal to get mega stars to get in your movie ‘cause it’ll most likely ruin your movie with their overwhelming star power and the attention gets drawn to the wrong places.

I will not spoil the story for you guys but for those that are familiar with the Watchmen series, you know how this’s going to go and they have kept it pretty loyal to the tome.

Well, this is the 1st time I’m watching a movie in Australia and there’s only one difference... No censors. It’s a great feeling to watch a movie that was not handled by the physically challenged members of the M’sian censorship board. Zero censorship, titties, dongs, sex scenes and all. Yes, even kissing scenes! Geez... cutting kissing scenes, now there’s a historic 1st right there. So yeah... the movie was totally uncensored, sex scenes between Nite Owl and Silk Spectre all there. Unfortunately, even Dr Manhattan’s shlong was all there as well. Every time the dude walks into the screen, I just cringe ‘cause the dude’s junk is just all over the damn place. I seriously wonder how the M’sian censors dealt with that. Seriously, for those of you that have watched Watchmen and are reading this, tell me how this was handled! I seriously hope they didn’t chop bloody chunks off the movie but knowing those idiots... they probably did just that with raging bravado.

The complex histories of the characters are just amazing. I have to admit that I instantly became a fan of Rorshach, that madman. He’s just one freakin’ motherfucking badass. Nite Owl was kinda cool ‘cause he definitely got the whole Batman vibe going. Ozymandias... he’s gay right? Comedian’s just one bastard... I couldn’t find a redeeming point in him even after he started crying in front of his enemy. Dr Manhattan... well, he’s just way too powerful and too detached from the world. Silk Spectre... yeah, she’s alright.

I definitely enjoyed this movie a lot. Loads of trademark Zack Snyder direction there, the guts and all that junk. In case you are wondering, yeah, same dude who did 300. Yeah. Guts and everything. You should check out the way Dr Manhattan kills his enemies, it’s just... *splat*

Ol’ Spiky’s Rating: 4.75/5 Still not perfect yet but it’s definitely a bloody good movie. Check it out at all costs. This movie can count as the opening salvo for summer blockbusters to come.

Alright, it’s summer time again! Well, at least in countries on the north side of the hemisphere. For us here it’s gonna be winter soon and now, autumn is already a bitch. Sure you don’t sweat but it’s cold as hell. So, alright, here’s my checklist of must watch movies!

- Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen
- Fast and Furious
- Wolverine
- Star Trek

Yeah, I know there’re a lot more movies... I might watch G.I Joe. Dragonball... I think it’s going to be a flop. A huge, huge flop for sure. This is the movie that’s gonna be losing out because of the purists.

Anyways, I think that’s that. Gonna talk about the Moomba Waterfest next post. Stay tuned. Peace out y’all

No comments: