Saturday, March 14, 2009

Moomba Waterfest

Fuck, this update is seriously old news but nonetheless I still want to talk about, but not as much as I would’ve if I had done this last week. I went to the Moomba Waterfest last Saturday with more of Kang Wei’s high school friends. We arrived at Federation Square pretty early and later had a seriously early dinner over at a Japanese restaurant at a shopping complex called QV. Bumped into Yi Ying there as well. Totally didn’t expect that.

We arrived there a bit too early, that’s for sure. We had roughly 2 hours to kill before the fireworks started so we took a whole round around the whole festival. Loads of those funfair type booths with huge soft toys to win. Unfortunately the booths only had the knock the bottles game, put hoops through bottles and shit like that and they were missing the one booth that I love the most – the rifle booth. Yeah... shoot 3 cans down to get a soft toy. That’d be awesome if it was there.

So yeah, walked around, loads of snack stands, the usual candy floss, hot dogs, fries and stuff like that. They had seriously insane rides as well! I can’t really explain to you how they work but here’re some pictures that will probably shed some light for you...



Part of the festival



The largest ferris wheel in the fest next to the sickest ride



The sickest ride there, Extreme Speed



Close up of the ferris wheel

Yeah... so I took that Slingshot ride. You know, the one where you sit in a ball and they launch you up?



That's me, on the left. I have no idea who the chick is.

Get the picture now? Yeah. It’s overrated, trust me. The only exhilaration is you feel is when gravity kicks in after you reach maximum height. It would’ve been tons better if they didn’t yank the line to slow you down, but then again, someone would probably suffer from whiplash. So yeah, it looks awesome but it doesn’t feel awesome and for 30 AUD, it didn’t feel awesome. Not one bit.

Hung around some more and wanted to take another extreme ride but looking at the people above screaming their heads off and just analyzing at what potential velocity they’re going it made me shit my pants and I was just standing there on the ground, looking. I readily admitted to the whole group that I was shit scared. I didn’t have to make excuses and it was completely understandable.

While finding nice seats for the upcoming fireworks show, I found out that Wai Chien had come to the festival as well and asked her to come and look for me. Turns out she was here with a load of other Monash people. We talked until it was about time for the fireworks and I went back to sit, right in front of the riverbank. The fireworks were incredible! But since we were sitting so close, there was one that blew up pretty close to the ground and the embers made it to the ground, some landed right on my feet and on the tree branches above our heads. I was seriously expecting the damn thing to erupt in flames.

We left after the show and I started to regret not buying a lightsabre from one of those toy vendors. Ah well. We went to have some bubble tea straight after. Nice place with nice Taiwanese food down at Swanston Street. The bubble tea is tons better than M’sia’s bubble tea. I tried the caramel bubble tea, fucking awesome. It had that hint of normal milk tea and just a hint of caramel so it wasn’t too icky-ish sweet. You know what I mean. I think I’m going to that place tomorrow night. Sweet.

This week passed without much incident... Did some grocery shopping today. Nothing good in the cinema. Downloaded a shit load of crap off the net to entertain myself. Any good movies to recommend? Something touching, maybe? Hm... I think I’ll download Big Fish. I liked that movie.

Ah... Now I remember. Something did happen. I was playing Left 4 Dead last night with Kang Wei and a fight had erupted downstairs at the McD’s drive through, which’s like next door to his apartment. It was so loud that it reached his room that was on the 6th floor and I could hear most of the stuff they were saying through the game ‘cause he switched his mike on. Definitely sounded like a fight about a love triangle between 2 dudes and a chick. The chick got bitch slapped loud and clear and there was definitely a fist fight. White people. When will they ever learn?

Alright, I guess that’s it. Peace out y’all.

No comments: