Sunday, January 25, 2009

Day 8 – Dusting Off

Phew… well, this is it, my final day in Dubai. Since my plane was going to leave Dubai to Bahrain at 6.40 p.m, I needed to be at the airport by 4.40 p.m, which gave me quite some time.

So, spent half the morning packing my bags… with the additional perfumes and other gifts, it wasn’t an easy task but I still managed without breaking anything. Checked out earlier and took one last final ride from Panorama to Rushdi’s place in Kerama. I arrived, dropped my bags off and we went ahead to look for that Toys R Us in Deira once more. We stopped over for chai again and took the bus again too. Bus was pretty empty at this time and we sat in the seats facing backwards. Damn, hate those seats; the view just gives me a headache.

We got dropped off somewhere that is probably as close as we can get, which was… 15-20 minutes away. Nah, trust me, this time it was just bad luck. The transportation system here is much better than Malaysia… but then again, when our transportation system sucks like Dane Cook, it’s pretty much a moot point. Eventually we got to Toys R Us, partially under renovation but nonetheless everything was intact and still for sale. It’s probably double the Toys R Us in 1 Utama or in KLCC. Still, it was a pretty old place. They have a huge selection of toys, ranging from Iron Man to Transformers to those little kiddie trikes and motorized mini ATVs. Sadly, this country didn’t have a trace of Gundams! Ah well…

Alas, this trip has turned unfruitful as the prices here remain roughly similar to Malaysia’s, if not worse. Curses. So we exit empty-handed but still our wallets bear heavy change. We walked over to the Reef Mall and looked around the place but that place was like a graveyard. However, I did manage to snag a perfume, but here’s the hitch, you don’t spray it, you rub it on and it’s kinda like Vaseline. The stuff’s in huge jars on display and there was one that smelled like bubblegum and looked like bubblegum that was chewed, played around with and mixed together with other pieces of gum that had just been through the similar process as well. Sounds disgusting but smells good.

Oh yeah, found this shop as well. I don’t think we get this in Malaysia…



That's just disgusting! And that's pretty dang serious, coming from me!

Shakir called us up to meet one last time in Dubai and we agreed to meet at Deira City Centre once more. This gave me another chance to snag a few more gifts while waiting for Shakir. We hitched a ride from a bus and got there pretty fast since we were in the area. Got more perfume and checked out a shop selling sheeshas. Damn, I still can’t believe that flavor there’s so FUCKING CHEAP! Damn it!

Checked out the sheeshas at the nearby Carrefour and damn, still so damn cheap… It’s appalling to see these Pakistani/Arab dudes give you that fuck face and say all types of bullshit while selling it 3-4 times the price over here. Ah well… Anyways, Shakir rang us up and we headed up to the food court to have some lunch. They had the usual flavors from all around the world, Western food, Chinese food, pizza, burgers… that stuff.



It's your ordinary whopper after steroids and genetic engineering

I opted for a good Triple Whopper from Burger King. You can’t that shit here in Malaysia! That’s right… three beef patties. Having a Homer moment here… *drool* Shakir even suggested that I try the uh, damn, some ice-cream place that was right behind me. It’s seriously unique because you can ask for any flavor and they will make it for you right there! I suppose they have like, certain base flavors and the other tastes that you choose will be kinda mashed into the ice-cream on a marble slab, I think. Sounds really good but the Triple Whopper that was sitting at the bottom of my stomach was seriously taking up space so alas, I had to pass another unique experience.

After a less than teary goodbye, we left Shakir and went back to Kerama as it was time for me depart. I got my bags and Rushdi lead me out to the street, bid farewell, and before I knew it, I was paying outta my ass to the cabbie. I have to say that KLIA definitely beats Dubai International by a mile in every aspect. Nah, that would be unfair, Dubai’s duty free still has a hell lot more kick ass shit than Malaysia’s one although by looks it can go head to head.

Walked around duty free for awhile and was struggling with my hand luggage since the amount of fragile items added to my person limited my movements. Added a few boxes of amazing chocolate for relatives. Sorry, readers, I was dead broke and was even trying to ask these people to accept my Bahraini dinars and ringgits. Luckily I bought some Jewels that were on promotion and got a few packs of Bounties. Love that shit but it’s so damned expensive here in Malaysia. You’d believe that they put the candy section in supermarkets just for decoration.

After awhile, I went off to my departure gate. Not much people in this flight and not a very odd assortment of people.



The next terminal's ride



The walkway to my ride



My hand luggage. Duty's free bag has the goodies!

As like last time, it was a 50 minute trip to Bahrain and a good 2 hours to wait around in. An hour before boarding time, the PA system started listing off cancelled Gulf Air flights, mainly the ones to Malaysia’s neighbors. I was quite scared that my flight would be cancelled as well but it just got delayed unofficially by half an hour. Can’t complain there!

It was a harrowing plane ride as there was this MOTHERFUCKER on my right that kept yapping for a good 3 hours STRAIGHT to a woman that looked like she didn’t know him. I threw plenty of dirty looks in between small naps and even considered knocking myself out with booze. However, after what happened last time still kinda haunted me. The phobia of the feeling of that alcohol high going down is more than enough to discourage me.

As I felt the plane drop a few feet and the sun and clouds became a lot more visible, I accepted in my heart that my magical journey to Dubai was truly over. Even in the departure lounge I could not help but breathe a sigh of contentment while looking at the setting desert sun. My trip is done and it was time to go back to the real world once more. I will return to Dubai once more but I can’t imagine what else can surprise me there… maybe the next time I can take a real posh trip through Dubai… but then how would that be fun? Hehehehe…

Peace out y’all.

No comments: