Sunday, October 5, 2008

There Are No Sides

Note: This post does not target any specific religion nor does it intend to diss religion. It is a casual and personal observation and interpretation of religious issues and contexts.

People look for answers in what’s available to them, and when they’re particularly desperate, they latch on to the closest answer available. It may make them wrong, but not necessarily evil. – Alan Eppes, Numb3rs

I particularly enjoyed this episode of Numb3rs (Season 4, Episode 16, for those interested) ‘cause they dealt with a Christian association with a cult status. I do love cult busts, especially Christian ones. The way that they quote the Bible and sometimes twist it to suit their own agendas is just hilarious. I seriously should go to one of their sermons to just get a good laugh.

But I digress. What Charlie’s dad said about the struggle for answers that particularly deal with faith just struck a chord with me. I’ve had plenty of these moments where I’ve constructed interesting observations and the kind about religion but I have never been able to write it out in words. Perhaps this time I can get my point across. Anyways, the chord that it struck has led me again to my own decisions regarding the placement of my TRUST, not faith. However, I put my need to discover, learn and understand over the placement of my trust. What I want to share today is how you can find the answers that you need and not blindly embrace something and call it “having faith” in it..

I want to extend a bit on what Mr. Eppes said and go on to say that when people do latch on to those alleged closest answers and also putting aside that desperation bit, I am glad for them for finding something to hold on to, as intangible and unfounded as it is. That last statement would lead back to my personal definition of faith – trusting in something that is intangible, unfounded and has no grounding to prove that it is worth trusting. Basically, I would say that faith is a kind of blind reliance.

As I have mentioned before in several posts before this, I have decided not to pick sides… because there are no sides, only different observations and methods of man attempting to understand and communicate with the world that man lives in. Not only have I not decided to pick sides, I have decided that I shall, one day, hopefully, experience and truly learn all that I can of these observations and methods and then from that, find the right questions to ask and the answers to it.

The “how” here is pretty simple. Never be content with what you know. Do not believe/trust/have faith in anything until you’re damn sure you’ve learnt and experienced everything that is necessary in regards to the religion.

Pretty simple, ain’t it? I doubt it. The method may be easy but the application may be the death of you.

If this all really makes no sense to you, feel free to go ahead and holla at me through the chatbox or MSN, for those that have me on their list, that is. That’s all for one morning. Peace out y’all.

No comments: