Saturday, January 19, 2008

CLOVERFIELD



Spoilers Ahead

Now, this is one movie, I thanked myself for not looking up on the net. I haven't seen any of the trailers whatsoever or gave much notice of the teaser posters, seeing as it reminded me of "Lusa", that grimly realistic and apocalyptic disaster movie. However, Cloverfield was far away from that.

Seeing as J.J Abrams (did I spell that right?) was the creator of such award-winning series such as Lost and Alias, one would expect a similar degree of sinister mystery in the storyline. I went into that cinema not knowing what the hell I was going to watch and I had no expectations whatsoever.

And hell, it was worth not knowing.

The movie starts off at a slow pace, depicting a man called Hud filming a documentary slash goodbye video for his best friend because he is leaving soon to Japan. What follows is typical (and very soppy) shit that the O.C, One Three Hill and Dawson’s Creek strive for. Mind you, the whole damn movie is shot from the perspective of the cameraman. Those who have weak tolerance to so much spinning around should avoid this one. For those who have spent the better half of their schooldays playing CS and Half-Life, this one should be another walk in the park. The monotony is soon broken abruptly as the power is out for like, 2 minutes and comes back on. Startled party guests switch on the TV to the news channel to find out that an oil tanker was sunk at the nearby New York port. It so happens that this party was in the vicinity so they rush to the roof to catch a glimpse of the action.

I saw a tail swishing around in beyond the buildings on the screen and I thought to myself, “Shit, this is some Godzilla shit”. As the movie went on, more and more of the monster was revealed and I’m telling you, it’s something that we’ve all never seen before. Some of you reading this might be thinking, “Shit, it’s a monster flick? Fuck it”. Nah, man. It ain’t that simple. Abrams definitely keeps everyone in the dark. Throughout the whole movie, nobody knows what the hell is going on or what the hell that thing was. Not the military and not the audience. That definitely made the movie worth watching, in my opinion. Sad to say, in the end, everybody dies, one by one in their own horrible fashion.

Cloverfield gets a 5 outta 5 from me, that’s fer sure.

Peace out y’all.

2 comments:

shak said...

aiyaa, uve gone and spoilt the ending by sayin they all died! :P hehe, was plannin on watchin this wen i got back...hmm, hopefully, they'll still be airing it

Yoong said...

=_="

Dude.... First line right after the picture on the post I wrote "Spoilers Ahead"!