Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Remembering The Forgotten

Early this morning I skimmed through everyone's blogs to check up on what they've been up to and stuff like that. Most of the recent posts I have read until I stopped by one of them and read the latest one. The post was mostly about the passing of an old friend and as I read further on, a growing sense of remorse grew in me. I could understand what he was feeling but not to that extent, for the friend that was taken away from me in a similar fashion wasn’t that close and I had only known him for 4 months tops. It was… a kind of remote sense of grief. It felt detached from me, like I could feel it, but it wasn’t for the person I was reading about. It reminded me of how painful it was at that time. Even when there were friends there, comforting each other, the grief that I had felt… the unfairness of it all, the spontaneity of it all filled my very being.

It was just painful. So so painful.

The post was another stark reminder, a reminder that screamed in your face through a friggin’ bullhorn while thrusting bright neon lights into your face. A reminder of how fragile life can be. How it can be taken all away in less than a snap of a finger. I wouldn’t be bragging when I say that I am an all too familiar spectator of Death’s whims. I know people have gone through worse but still, there are things that some people need not go through.

I watched my father die as the nurses and doctors tried to resuscitate him. He had lived 5 years plus with only one lung. To hell with Maximus from Gladiator. If there was only one warrior in the world, that would be my dad. Prove me wrong by going through chemotherapy and live on with a single lung and coughing blood everyday.

I was there at the car crash scene. Blood, side skirts and shattered glass all over the tar road. A tree that looked as though it was punched in numerous times. Images that are burnt into your skull that will last a lifetime.

Although I have said that I would love to grin into the face of Death any day, it seems to be able to remind me from time to time of his prowess. Some or most of you may be still green, scoffing at this post, calling it emo. One day, you will realize the fragility of life while you’re cradling yourself, reeling from the death of a loved one or a close friend.

Peace out y’all.

No comments: